Computers in Karelia
The history of computers in Karelia began in 1969, when the first computer Minsk-1 was installed at Petrozavodsk State University. The computer was put into practice in 1961, and starting since this year the computer center (CC) served as a teaching unit for the students of Physics-Mathematical Department in the field of computational techniques and programming. The next year high polytechnic school #9 began teaching operator-programmers under the CC supervision
In 1961 the “Minsk” computer was installed in the department of energy and automatics of Karelian branch of AS USSR (KBAS). It served as a beginning for computer use in research. In 1965 computer “Minsk-1” was put into practice in Karelian Research Institute of Forest Industry (KRIFI), where part of the programmers from KBAS got a job. In 1967 the computer “Minsk-22” was installed in KRIFI. It enabled the development of the Automatic Control System (ACS) which include such tasks as “Forest Fund Registration” and “Wood-cutting Area Fund Registration.”
By the end of the seventies computers “Minsk-32” had been installed at major Karelian enterprises. For example, this computer was delivered to the Head North-West Constructor Office and to the papermaking machine plant (now Petrozavoskmash), in 1973 – Belomor-Onego Ship Office, in 1975 – Statistic Office of KASSR, in 1977 – the Onego Tractor Plant, and others. These were the years of creation computer centers, the main goal of which was to develop and put into practice the automatic control systems for the industrial enterprises (ACSI). At the end of the seventies the transition to computers EC was made. Practically all organizations had replaced Minsk-32 by the modern computer ÅÑ 1022. This computer was also installed in the new information computer centers, which were organized in Power Supply Office of Karelia, Civil Engineering Office of Karelia, Mica Plant, and so on. At the beginning of the eighties more powerful computers were being installed. For example, KRIFI successively put into practice the computers ÅÑ 1032, ÅÑ 1045, ÅÑ 1061; North-West Constructor Office – computer ÅÑ 1045; “Petrozavodskmash” – computer ÅÑ 1055; The Onego Tractor Plant – computer ÅÑ 1045; Radio Plant – computer ÅÑ 1033; Statistic Office – computer ÅÑ 1035, ÅÑ 1036; in Karelian Branch of Academy of Science the computer EC 1052 was installed. In the second part of the eighties, organizations and enterprises used mini and micro computers (ÑÌ 4, ÑÌ 1600, Electronics 60, DBK, and others), mainly for engineering calculations and for ACSI.
Petrozavodsk University opened a new major in programming, where future professional programmers were taught. The replacement of the old computers for the new ones took place at the Computer Center of the university as well: the computer “Odra 1204” (1970), “Minsk 22” (1972), ÅÑ 1022 (1978) were installed. In 1985 the computer EC 1035 was installed at the university with display station, allowing to switch on as many as 32 displays. It gave the possibility to organize distant user access to the computer resources. At the same time, beginning from the eighties, the computers ÑÌ 4, Mera 125, micro computers Electronics 85, Electronics 60, Yamaha, DBC, ÅÑ 1840, Iskra 1030, Mazovia 1016, Macintosh, and others were effectively used at the university. Since the nineties, the university has been taught the students on the most modern personal computers, beginning from IBM PC/XT, PC/AT (in the nineties), P 1, P II, P III, P IV (the years 2000–2006) to meet the demand of the industry of the Republic of Karelia and of the North-West of Russia. Since 1994 Regional Information Technology Center, established in PetrSU, started to grant the Internet access services. The first Program “Informatization of the Republic of Karelia for 1996-1998” was adopted by the RK government. The program was a joint project, worked out and applied by Petrozavodk State University and Karelian Research Center (KRC). The program made the foundations for strategic approach to the new information technology development and stimulated the computer use in all the spheres of activities in the Republic.
In the years 2000–2005 the control systems for industrial enterprises, based on the net technologies, were being actively implemented, data bases were being created; technologies for geographic-informational systems were being introduced.